Friday, August 5, 2016

Fast Friday Indie Interviews: Joan Carney

Joan Carney

Tell me about yourself, Joan?

A transplant from the concrete sidewalks of New York City to the sunny beaches of Southern California, I enjoy writing stories about women who are strong—whether by nature or circumstance—and the men who love and respect them for who they are.

Things that make me happy are rainy days (too much sun is a bore), writing the perfect first line, family get-togethers, reading books that grab my heart, and finding new connections in my genealogy research. Bold coffee and dark chocolate fuel the artistic fire inspired by my family, friends, and psycho, lizard hunting cat.

Tell me about your current Book:

Burdened with the scars of a tortured childhood and a shattered romance, Kitty is being forced to resign from the dull, anonymous job she’s been hiding behind. With her life in shambles and her friends moving on without her, she jumps at her cousin’s invitation to visit. However, Maggie’s new boyfriend, Simon, has a secret that accidentally hurls the trio a hundred and fifty years into the past. Trapped in the midst of the bloodiest war in American history, the events that unfold will require more mettle than Kitty’s ever had.

Inspired by my own genealogy research, the second half of this HEA story is set against the backdrop of the American Civil War and is written from the viewpoint of a 21st Century woman treating injured soldiers in a primitive 19th Century field hospital. I’ve worked to maintain an accurate account of the names, places and living conditions of the time. I hope you’ll agree.

What are you working on now?

My newest endeavor, “Frosting”, is still in its infancy stages.  Whereas Fated Memories involved time travel and sweet romance, this book is more of a contemporary romance with much steamier scenes and higher stakes. I’m having a blast writing it!  I have my characters profiled, and a general outline of where I want them to go, I just need to get them there.

Where is your favorite place to be when you write?

The window in my office faces a serene lake with ducks and seagulls squawking in the distance. When I’m stuck for the perfect word or phrase, I gaze out at the light sparkling on the water and allow the alpha brain waves to flow. If that doesn’t work, I do the opposite and munch on chips, crackers, anything chocolate or high in carbs to stimulate my creativity. The calories are balanced out with long walks around the lake or, if I’ve been especially brilliant, I reward myself with a couple hours trolling the department store racks.

What is your favorite Website?

You can find posts on just about anything on Pinterest. I spend a lot of time there browsing collections of recipes (I love to cook), crochet patterns, and genealogy hints and photos. There are also numerous helpful posts for writers on body language, showing emotional cues, descriptors, etc. It’s been a useful resource when I get stuck or need an inspiration.

Links:

Email: jcarney1148@gmail.com
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fated-Memories-Joan-Carney/dp/069266386X/
Blogjoancarneyauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment