Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Tuesday Tips: Dedicated Space

I believe that you need to make writing a habit. Part of that is to create a dedicated space where you will do your writing. These spaces will eventually have a Pavlovian association with writing!

Here is my list of requirements of my writing space:
  • It should have a place for my coffee pot and mug.
  • It needs to be comfortable but not so comfy you can fall asleep.
  • Eliminate distractions like TV, Facebook, cats on keyboards.
  • I need a good stereo. I write with music playing quietly.
  • Writers reference books in easy reach.
  • A door that can close.
  • Large bright screen.
  • A keyboard with excellent key action. Pay the money for a better keyboard. 
Here is what I want in my next writers den:
  • A white board wall.
  • Hardwood floors so my chair ROLLS!
  • A printer that is handy. (mine is in another room currently)
  • A window sill cat bed to try and keep him off my keyboard.
  • A mini fridge. (anything to keep me in there)
  • A good speaker phone.
  • Lots of natural light.
None of this will make you write. It allows you to write. I know some people that can't even be at home when they write. They write in libraries or diners or coffee shops. I do this at times, but dedicated space is also awesome if you can pull it off.

--What requirements are in your perfect writers space?


No comments:

Post a Comment