Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Tuesday Tips: Unrealistic Expectations.

A big problem many Indie Authors encounter is unrealistic expectations. It is really a difficult habit to break.

Here are a few examples:

  • My family will read my book. 
  • My first draft is the final draft.
  • My book will be a best-seller.
  •  I will make fat cash!
  • This will be easy.
  • Tons of 5 Star reviews.
  • All this will happen in a week.

Happiness is a simple formula that involves your expectations.

        Happiness = Expectations / Reality

This formula always comes into play with me at the movies. If my expectations are high my enjoyment could be lower. I remember how excited I was to see the sequel to The Matrix. Then being so disappointed.

When it comes to Indie Publishing the expectation I recommend as default is that you will not sell any books. That you will have to work hard to market the book. That someone will give you an unfair one-star review.

If your expectations are too high you will be discouraged when success is not instant.

Keep writing. Your best marketing is the next novel. The more you write the better you will write. Because in the end, it's all about the writing. The writing is the thing. Sales are nice. Recognition is nice. But if you're writing for those things you will likely be unhappy.

--Finish things.

No comments:

Post a Comment